Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

New Slime Club Coming to Whitney Young

New Slime Club Coming to Whitney Young
Jada Cee

Fidget spinners, squishies, and…what else is missing? Slime! Do you remember that manipulative putty toy called slime? Do you remember the “slime queen”, slime influencer, and social media star Karina Garcia? Are you interested in making or playing with slime? If this sounds like you, soon you will have the opportunity to create your very own slimes.

Next semester, Whitney Young’s very own Slime Club will be debuting. Don’t know what slime is? Slime is a fun wad of goo that you can play with. According to Ema Sagner who wrote about the rise of the slime economy, slime can have many different colors, scents, “glitter and pigments of all kinds.” Its properties include an inconsistent viscosity. Chemist Anne Hemelstine says that it is “a fluid that changes its ability to resist deformation according to shear or tensile stress.” This means that the slime won’t stick to your hands when you are actively playing with it, making it mess free. Most slime bases are made with a mixture of glue and borax. Sodium borate, also known as borax, is a powder often used as a cleaning agent. For slime purposes, it gets dissolved in water. Depending on the glue to borax ratio being mixed, the slime may become extremely stiff or more of a liquid. 

Still not interested? There are many reasons you should start making slime. For one, slime can be used as a fidget for when you are feeling stressed or nervous. Based on Myriam Sandler’s experience with a daughter who has sensory issues, she found that slime can help “self-soothe and calm [your] nervous system.”

Have a test coming up? Slime. Having a rough day? Slime. Just bored? Slime. Slime is more than just a relaxation tool!

Slime Club meetings will be in room 179 starting next semester. More information will come out soon, so be on the lookout. Remember, slime is a fun time, so if you’re looking to make some, come join!