Rat Aquatics Initiative (Bacon)

2024 Fashion Forecast: SHEIN is In

May 15, 2024

Whitney Young’s Revolutionary Solution For Rat Squatters (Bacon)

May 9, 2024

The need for less strict security at Whitney Young (Bacon)

May 9, 2024

The Epidemic Sweeps Through the Classrooms of Whitney Young (Bacon)

May 9, 2024

Foot Traffic Guide

Foot Traffic Guide

May 9, 2024

Making Eye Contact in the Hallway (Bacon)

The 5 or 10 minute passing period we have is often thought of as a moment of peace, a break between one boring lecture and another. However, there is one thing that can disrupt this bit of rest: unwanted eye contact. 

Imagine you’re walking down the hallway, and all of a sudden, you see your sophomore year Algebra 2 teacher. Without meaning to, you lock eyes. You share an uncomfortable stare for seconds (that feel like minutes) as you pass each other, neither of you making a move to acknowledge the other. You’re left wondering if they even remember you, unsure if you saw recognition in their eyes. 

Awkward moments like this are what you risk once you enter the hallways. When you’re in public, you can avoid most interactions by wearing headphones, and with so many people in the city, there’s a low chance you’ll run into someone you know. But in a school full of people you have some sort of bond to, students are bound to encounter someone they don’t really care to talk to, but have no choice but to interact with.

Many students go out of their way to not acknowledge people, staring at the floor while they walk, or looking in the other direction when they see someone they recognize. “Personally, I just stare at the ground. I’d rather jump from the third floor to the second than take the stairs and make eye contact with someone,” a worried senior confesses. Even after 6 years of exposure, the student still dreads this type of instance. “I recently had a run-in with my friend’s ex-girlfriend. We accidentally glanced at each other, and didn’t know who should look away first. I still shudder thinking of that moment,” another student laments, wishing they hadn’t left AP Lang that day. 

To prepare yourself for awful situations like this, maybe try practicing with a friend. Or, if you don’t have any friends, try using this video! At first, get used to prolonged eye contact, then plan out the types of reactions you’ll give for each situation. Maybe for teachers you’ll do a subtle smile, and give your close friends a wave. Strategizing beforehand will give you the confidence you need to step through that classroom door, and walk with your head high. Good luck.