Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

Help Wanted: Get Yourself in the Yearbook!

Part of page 51 from last year’s yearbook (’22-’23)

Whitney Young Yearbook Club needs your help to gather photos for the yearbook this year!

If you’ve looked through your yearbook before, you might’ve seen a photo of yourself and wondered, how did they get this shot of me? Our school’s yearbook has a team of photographers that takes photos at in-school events, sports games, and other student affairs. However, this team can’t be everywhere at once. That’s why they need your submissions to fill up the yearbook!

Whether it’s a picture from spirit week, homecoming, a game, or even a regular photo from one of your classes, your submissions could be used in this year’s yearbook. “We would love any of the photos that you take of your friends [during] any events that you’re in,” Leisly Bahena, one of the editors-in chief of the yearbook, states. 

If you’re unfamiliar with the yearbook format, each section begins with a divider page filled with photos of students. These sections include each individual grade, student life, sports and more. At times, yearbook has to scrape together photos to complete these pages, occasionally having to resort to subpar images in order to fill up the blank space. Sydney Choi, the yearbook editor in charge of putting together grade dividers, reports that last year “there were mostly pictures from spirit week or last minute shots, so it would be helpful if we had more candids.” She believes to make these dividers look better, a wider variety of photos is needed. 

The yearbook committee tries to include at least three photos of each person, not including their portrait. This means that regardless of whether you send a picture of yourself, you will be featured, but it doesn’t necessarily ensure that your photo will be good. By submitting your own photo, you get to choose how you and others appear in the yearbook, instead of leaving it up to chance. You are also more likely to be featured in a divider, rather than just a photo of your club roster. “It was great to have those [moments] immortalized,” Kaylen Ng, senior, comments on photos of them and their friends they found in last year’s book. 

Submitting your photos helps you make sure you have the best photo of yourself in the yearbook, and helps make the yearbook better overall. If you’re interested in sending photos, email [email protected]!