Meet the Man Behind the Beard

GOAL!!!!  And the students go wild for their favorite english teacher and soccer coach, Mr. Ian McCarthy!mccarthy

This year he is teaching five Honors American Literature classes.  Former student Maggie Browdy ‘17 says “My favorite memory from his class was when we discussed the Allegory of the Cave because that was shadow day and all the shadows were there and were super confused and he was always joking around with them.”  Prior to teaching at Whitney, Mr. McCarthy taught at Hyde Park Academy for six years and at St. Benedict for four. He has taught high school World Literature, AP Philosophy, and Creative Writing as well as elementary Social Studies and Math.  Still, he believes English and Writing are his callings.  “My overall goal is to teach students how to think critically and provide them with the skills to succeed later in life,” says McCarthy.

Mr. McCarthy’s other important role at school is coaching the boys varsity and girls junior varsity soccer teams. Mariah Helm ‘17 comments “Coach McCarthy was my JV soccer coach sophomore year and one of my favorite memories was at the beginning of the season because he threw us a pizza party; it was really fun and it helped us all bond as a team.” The boys soccer team is currently in season, and they recently defeated one of their biggest rivals, Kelly High School. Coach McCarthy is keeping an eye on other opponents such as Lane Tech, Solorio, and Washington this season, and the boys will need a big crowd to cheer them on.

Mr. McCarthy has two kids who attend Whitney Young both of whom are a part of the soccer program. His daughter, Ella McCarthy ‘18, tells us “I know Coach McCarthy because he’s my dad and was also my JV soccer coach. My favorite memory of him was one day at practice when he was trying to pass the ball and he kept falling over the ball and fell on his back; it was so funny.” In addition to teaching English and coaching soccer, McCarthy is an avid participant in Whitney Young’s beard growing competition. Although he isn’t currently sporting a beard, he hopes to come out on top against his biggest competition: Mr. Mandakas.  

Excitingly, rumors that McCarthy and his wife went to prom together have been confirmed! As a matter of fact, the two are high school sweethearts.  During his sophomore year at St. Ignatius College Prep., McCarthy asked his wife-to-be to homecoming and she turned him down.  Nevertheless, during their Senior year, he asked her again and she said yes! To dazzle her with charm, he wore a red plaid bowtie, a vest, and a black tux to the dance. McCarthy told us that he knew his wife was the one for him because they never had a stressful relationship, and he commented “We had similar family goals, and could easily and happily picture life with each other.”

When asked if there was anything else we should know, Mr. McCarthy told us that he loves rap music and collects records. If he could be any crayon in a coloring box he would without a doubt be the black one. He also enjoys making delicious homemade pizzas with his family and he loves his job; he wouldn’t want to be doing anything else. Whitney Young is extremely lucky to have such a dedicated, beard-loving, pizza-makin’ Dolphin!