Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

The Love of Food

A Meinertzhagen Thanksgiving meal

“My favorite home cooked meal was always a grilled cheese. Every time my mom made it, I felt warm and safe. It was a comfort food.” This quote from senior Om Raizada represents the impact food can have on our lives. Food has been one of the few constants in human life. From hunters and gatherers feasting after a large kill to modern day humans munching on Doritos at one in the morning, food has always been a source of satisfaction and nourishment. However research and history have shown that people don’t just develop a love for the food on the table, but also a love for the people around them. When people are reminded of favorite foods from their childhood, they not only think back to the flavors and satisfaction that those meals brought them, but also reminisce about the memories and people they enjoyed those dinners with. For me, the hearty smell of Chili always brings me back to the warm bowls my mom would give us after a chilly Chicago winter day.

The community that food fosters is not necessarily human, as it has been seen through marmoset and tamarin monkeys. Adult monkey’s make big deals over the sharing and gifting of food to their offspring, adopting specialized calls and postures when they’re ready to share. Chimpanzees take this a step further, as they have been seen sharing food with other families in their tribe, hoping to maintain long term alliances. 

As we know the sharing of food is not limited to our primate relatives. Many celebrations around the world are unsurprisingly centered around food and human connection. From the family gatherings of Thanksgiving in the United States, to the Jewish celebration of Passover. Food is in the center of tradition connecting individuals to others around the table, and to their culture. Food is not only impactful during holidays, Senior Jimmy Anastasi reminisced on his favorite childhood meal, “I really miss the old McDonald’s chicken wrap. My Grandma used to take me to McDonalds every time she would pick me up from school. We would go to McDonald’s and I would get the chicken wrap.” 

Next time you sit down with family, friends, or significant others. Cherish not just the fatty, juicy bite of your burger, but also those people that are important to you because chances are you will look back on those finite meals.

Mom’s Chili Recipe

1 Tablespoon oil

1 diced onion

2 minced garlic cloves

Two packages McCormick’s hot chili seasoning

2 pounds ground turkey thigh

32 ounces canned kidney beans

32 ounces canned whole or diced tomatoes

1 cup frozen corn

Saute onion and garlic in oil.

Remove from pan

Brown turkey thigh

Add remaining ingredients and onion and garlic

Simmer for 20 minutes

Serve over rice. Top with Sour cream, shredded cheese, jalapenos, onions, and your choice of hot sauce.