Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

Where are you going for lunch?

Where are you going for lunch?

You hear the sound of the lunch bell and immediately your stomach grumbles. It’s your favorite time of the day, but you didn’t bring a lunch from home, and the school lunch isn’t calling your name. Now you don’t know where to eat. Lucky for you, I’ve listed some options that are only a short walk away from Whitney Young. (Ackies, this isn’t for you; wait a couple of years.)

1. Harold’s Chicken Shack: 

• What is it?: A Chicago institution known for its crispy fried chicken and unique seasoning. Harold’s offers a variety of sides to complement your chicken, like coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, cheese sticks, and bread, all prepared with a homemade touch. 
  • Affordability: 8/10 → For a quick reference, four wings and a side of small fries would cost you $10. They usually have a daily lunch special for about five dollars, making it quite affordable.
  • Yum Factor: 8/10 
  • Student thoughts: “It’s consistently good. Variety isn’t huge but what they do, they do well,” states Keith Xin.

2. Billy Goat Tavern

• What is it?: A classic burger joint, renowned for its original ‘cheezborger’ and no-frills atmosphere.
  • Affordability: 8/10→Affordable, perfect for hungry students with their convenient Whitney Young Student deals!
  • Yum Factor: 7/10
  • Student thoughts: “It’s chill, when the fries are really salty that’s when they hit the hardest,” exclaims Sean Paz.

3. Dunkin’ 

• What is it?: A popular chain famous for its various coffees and donuts.
  • Affordability: 7/10 → Budget-friendly, but not ideal for a substantial lunch, however, at Starbucks an Iced Chai Latte is $4.95 compared to Dunkin’s $3.99…
  • Yum Factor: 7/10
  • Student thoughts: “It’s just donuts; I don’t want a donut for lunch. But they are good donuts,” says Erica Williams.

4. Subway

• What is it?: A sandwich shop with a range of customizable options.
  • Affordability: 6/10 → Budget-friendly, with daily discounts and true-to-size advertisement (research has shown the footlong is indeed one foot).
  • Yum Factor: 5/10
  • Student thoughts: “Potbelly’s is better,” says Sam Li.

5. Starbucks

• What is it?: The globally popular coffee chain offering a variety of beverages and sweet treats.
  • Affordability: 3/10 → A bit on the pricier side for students, and half of your money goes to the ice, not the actual drinks, but sometimes the caffeine is necessary.
  • Yum Factor: 7/10
  • Student thoughts: “Whenever I’m down, a drink from Starbies cheers me up but it’s not the best when I’m hungry,” states Suki Zhao.

So, when the lunch bell rings and your stomach grumbles, you have plenty of options to choose from. Whether you’re craving fried chicken or a classic burger, these nearby restaurants have got you covered. Just remember to bring your appetite and some friends to share the delicious experience.