Athlete Spotlight: Conor Dore, Boys Golf

Aram Wilkinson, Staff Writer

Photo taken by Coach Snider
Photo taken by Coach Snider

Conor Dore has been the number one golfer on our WY team since his junior year. He recently won the city championship and made it downstate. He has invested almost all of his time into golf, and will be playing at SIU next school year. Here is a question and answer segment to learn more about him:

What was the college recruitment process like for you?

The recruitment process was pretty hectic. A lot more time had to be put into it than I expected, talking to coaches, going to meetings. It was also frustrating because I felt that the time put into the process could have been used for other things like studying and spending time with friends.

How would you describe your WY golf career? What were some of the most memorable moments?

My golf career at WY was a lot of fun. All of my teammates have been great to play with and it’s been great playing for someone like Coach Snider. I think I’ll remember playing in the city championships the most because of being able to represent Whitney young and bring back some banners.

Are you happy with the way your last season went as a whole?

I was definitely not happy with how my last season went. I wanted to do two things: bring a team downstate and win a state championship as an individual, and I didn’t do either.

From what you know, what do you expect college golf to be like, and how does it compare to high school?

I expect college golf to be a little bit different than high school golf because there will be a lot more traveling involved and we’ll be playing in both fall and spring instead of just fall, but at the end of the day it’s just about going out there and playing the best you can.

What have you done to get to the high competitive golf level that you are at? How much of it is natural skill and how much is practice?

A lot has gone into getting to the level I’m at. I think I’ve started off with an advantage because I can create a lot of speed even though I’m smaller than most of the guys out there.  A ton of practice has gone into along with lessons with my coach as well as plenty of tournament experience.

What does your normal week look like? Practice wise and playing.

During a day in the summer I’ll usually spend four to five hours practicing, working on different parts of the game and then spend about four hours playing on the course. After that I usually try to get another hour of practice in. During the winter I’ll go and work on my swing after school at the east bank club for at least a good two hours. I’ve got to get stronger too so I’ll hit the weight room hard to get ready for college.