Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

Boys Soccer Season Recap

Zara Linneman

Our boys have once again proven who the real “school of champions” is. Ending with a 15-7-3 record, the varsity boys soccer team just finished their most successful season since 2018. The season started off a bit rough for the team, losing their first conference game to Von Steuben and taking a tough 6-1 loss against Niles North. Over the course of the season, the team grew stronger and stronger, going all the way to the Chicago Public League Semi Final. 

In one of their most exciting games of the season, their CPL quarter final, the boys took on rival Lane Tech. Both teams played incredibly well, ending regulation play with the score tied at 0-0. They were then forced to go into penalty kicks to decide who would move on in the public league bracket. Senior Captain Garen Petrulis took the first penalty kick, followed by junior Sam Henle, junior Leo Antoniewicz, and senior Cole Hockman. 

The winning kick was made by senior Reese Krushke, one of many impressive moments from the All State player. The teams top scorer, Krushke made 18 goals this season. He was followed by senior Szymon Skodon who made 16, and senior All Conferance player Cole Hockman, with 12. 

Following the CPL quarterfinal, the team took a tough loss to Taft in the semifinal, with that game going into penalty kicks as well. Although disappointed, the boys kept working hard, shifting their focus to the upcoming state tournament. The hard work showed as they took down Kenwood in an impressive 6-1 win to move on to regionals. The team then went on to beat the impressive Reavis team to win Whitney Young’s first Boys Soccer Regional Championship since 2006. 

Overall, an impressive season from the boys. With a very talented junior class coming up, the future looks bright for the WY Soccer program.