School and Work Life

Alex Steadman

Here at Whitney Young, there are many outside sports like baseball or lacrosse to keep us busy; as well as clubs like Best Buddies, and our theater program that keep students occupied after school.

For some students, including myself, extracurriculars aren’t the only things on our after school To-Do list. Many students at Whitney Young work after school and on the weekends. For students like Carrie Moy ‘19, juggling work, school, clubs, and even sports, can be a challenge. “It’s kind of hard to to keep up with school and work. I go to my tutoring job right after school then usually get home around seven, then start my homework. I have to take a instructional support to get most of it done.” Though on the other hand, students like Joshua Bobbitt ‘20, find it manageable and beneficial. “I work at a small health food store in Beverly and the fact that it’s family owned and has loyal customers, it makes it enjoyable to work. I learn a lot about nutrition and natural medicines. It’s not too hard to manage during the school year. I may lose a couple hours of sleep on late nights due to homework, but since I only work two days a week it’s manageable.” Alondra Lozano ‘20, has the same perspective. “I work at the flower shop in The Drake Hotel. I worked at the end of the school year last year and over the summer way more than I do now do now due to classes being more demanding. It’s super rewarding to be making my own money. I know other kids who have to work often and are super stressed out because their job can be as demanding as school.”

As a student working two to three days a week myself, I know it can be tough managing both at the same time. For me, work can be a distraction from school and social life, as well as good sense of reward for hard work once you receive a paycheck. Working has also allowed me to be exposed to a good work ethic and a sense of my own responsibility that I will have to develop in the near future in college. Not to mention the fact that showing dedication and hard work looks good on college applications. Though working during the school year can be challenging, it offers many great opportunities for now and the future.