Boys Track Team Qualifies Individuals to State

Rahul Mikkilineni, Editor

Championship season is upon us once again.  That means the the IHSA Track and Field State series is underway.  On Thursday, May 17th, the Boys Track Team competed at their sectional hosted by Proviso East at Triton College.  The weather was perfect with a cool evening with minimal breeze.

The first qualifier for Whitney Young was the 4×800 meter relay.  Dashaun Edwards ‘19 led off and handed off the baton to Luke Lasley ‘19.  At this point in the race, Whitney Young was at the front with Jones and Lane.  Soon, the third leg, Spencer Nelson ‘19 took off and then handed it off to the one and only Sam Rivera ‘19.  With Sam’s final kick, Whitney Young secured a state qualification and first place with a time of 8:03.82. Malachi Robinson ‘19 was watching the race and remarked, “That was so hyped, going into state next week, they ran a great race.”

The next qualifier came in the 3200 where the first seed Clayton Mendez ‘18. took off from the gun and never looked back.  He easily took first place with a time of 9:03.84 and qualified for state. His teammate Charlie Nevins ‘19 took third in the race with a time of 9:33.50.  

Later in the meet, Clayton amazed us again with a qualification in the mile. He again took first with a time of 4:17.59.  Sam Rivera took third with a time of 4:22.37 and just missed the state qualifying mark of 4:21.67.

The last qualifier for Whitney Young came in the high jump where Jimi Taiwo ‘20 got second with  jump of 6’ 2’’. Teammate Martin Rusanov ‘20 was very proud of Jimi, “It’s amazing what he did as a sophomore.  I’m really looking forward to seeing him in the next two years.”

Meet Results

Triton College Athletics

Jimi Taiwo after qualifying for state PC: Billy Poole-Harris