What’s up with the Clothing Hype?

Yen Lee, Editor

There is a rising trend among high school and college students of this generation to buy expensive and limited high quality clothes.  Brands such as Supreme, Off White, and Adidas are among the many that young adults are interested in.  The reason for young adults dropping hundreds of dollars can be for two reasons, to resell or to collect.  Reselling clothes has become a part time job for some students.  They can buy brands such as Supreme and resell for twice or three times retail due to the clothes’ rarity.  Some even buy bots in order to raise their chances of purchasing an item.  Reselling has become so popular that a market has grown around it for young entrepreneurs.  Daniel Asiamah 18’, sells clothes to make side money and he says, “it a great way to make a few hundred dollars doing nothing.”

Collectors are the ones who tend to buy clothes for the resale price if they can’t buy at retail.  Some drop thousands of dollars on a single jacket, only to never wear.  Others choose to spend a few hundred on clothes and wear them for popularity.  There are even some people reluctant to pull off the tag on an Off White hoodie that they’re wearing.  Whatever the reason for buying these luxuries, brand name clothes and starter up clothes have attempted to create limited and quality clothing.

As Anthony Banuelos 18’ says, “selling clothes can be hard sometimes.  There are times when item’s don’t resell more than retail because it’s not high in demand. It can take days or weeks before you can resell clothes and make a profit, until then, sometimes you’ll be broke with and expensive tee.”