Nate Robinson’s NFL Dream

Malcolm Townsel, Staff Reporter

According to the NCAA the chances of making it to the NBA are 1.1 % and the chances of making it to the NFL are 1.6 %. Nate Robinson, “Mr. Heart over Height”  who is 5’9, has defied the odds of making the NBA, whose average height is 6’7”. Now Robinson looks to defy the odds of not only playing in the NFL but of having played in both the NBA and NFL. Robinson would be the first player ever to participate in both professional leagues. Robinson attended the University of Washington for three years. He played football and basketball his freshman year, then decided to focus on basketball and only played basketball in his sophomore and junior season. Robinson then forgoed his final year of eligibility at Washington and declared for the NBA draft. He was drafted 21st overall to the Phoenix Suns in the 2005 NBA draft. He is well known for his years with the Knicks, Bulls and Nuggets. Robinson is currently playing professional basketball in Israel to stay in shape and many of his fans have followed him while he is overseas.

Robinson has many fans due to his success in the NBA, which is highlighted by his competitive spirit and unique scoring and jumping ability. He also gained a lot of attention from his three dunk contest wins in 2006, 2009 and 2010.

Numerous WY fans are excited to see him get the opportunity to add some of his spirit and talent to the NFL. Derrick Faulkner ‘17 said “It will be very exciting, something nobody has done before. He will have to make a big adjustment.” Joel Lorenzi ‘17 says “Nate brings a unique drive to sports and seeing that in the NFL would make the game so fun to watch.” Robinson just received his first NFL opportunity to play with the Seattle Seahawks. His tryout was last Sunday as a cornerback.

Robinson had a recent interview with ESPN. When asked how serious is he about the NFL Robinson said  “as serious as a heart attack. Totally serious. As soon as I get the opportunity, if it comes my way, I’ll take full advantage of it.” Hopefully fans will be able to get to see Robinson’s dreams come to reality. The NFL’s teams’ camps are starting in Mid-July, so look out for him to see if his dream comes to reality!