Radiohead Releases New Single After 23 Years

Nino Lenzini, Staff Reporter

Radiohead is back with their new single (and its attached music video) “Burn the Witch” after nearly three decades of absolute silence. Originally formed in 1985 these strapping British lads played the English countryside, leaving a trail of “grunge-lite” music  from North Sunderland to Leeds, for almost an entire decade. After years of incessant touring, the fledgling band finally got their big break when they signed to EMI subsidiary Capitol Records in late 1991 and shortly thereafter began recording sessions of their gold single: “Creep.” Radiohead was hailed as the greatest rock band of all time solely off the merit of their only song. This was the first, yet sadly the last time the world would listen to Radiohead until now.

Twenty-three years later Radiohead is back and stranger than ever. However instead of their inoffensive brand of “alternative rock,” they’ve taken up what can only be called “techno for nerds.” Where there once stood proud boys with guitars hooked to fuzz pedals there are now grown men hunched over synthesizers. This transition from the band that ruled the airwaves to one that looks like the airwaves would force them to fall over is incredibly confusing for most Whitney M. Young students and faculty.

“Radiohead, isn’t that that one band that did “Creep,” said Georgia Greenberg ‘16. “They should have broken up twenty years ago back when they still played actual music instead of white noise via broken fax machine.” Noah Popernik ‘16 reiterated Greenberg’s point saying “Radiohead, more like Radio-dead!!!” Needless to say it’s almost universally agreed that Radiohead’s new sound is as boring as it is fondled over by music nerds everywhere.