Ten Steps to De-Stress

Carol Platt, Student Life Editor

The end of the school year is finally in sight; but before WY students can start enjoying all the fun events that this time of year brings, many students feel as though they are under an overwhelming amount of pressure and stress. The main causes of these feelings come from preparing for and taking the ACT and AP tests, choosing a college, and boosting grades before the end of the marking period. In this hectic time, the mental health of students is often overlooked. Here are 10 tips from our very own WY teachers on how they deal when they just “can’t even.”  

1. Make a list- Ms. Lent
    • “Making a list helps me to organize my thoughts; that way I’m not keeping it all in my head. A large portion of our brain is used to try to remember different things. By writing down everything we are trying to remember, we are freeing up that part of our mind.”  
  2. Hit pop-flies
    • “I like to go to Echard park to hit some pop-flies. It’s fun to hit the softballs really hard; it’s useful in releasing all the stress I’m feeling.”
  3. Think of the good times- Ms. El-Amin
    • “I love my job; the frustrating situations are always outweighed by good ones. I just don’t dwell on the bad times. I always keep it going; I always keep moving.”
  4. Meditate- Dr. Barnes
    • “I find a quiet place in my home and meditate. It helps bring things back into perspective; it reminds me of my purpose. I also have two small dogs and I interact with them. Their free personalities remind me of how important life is.”
  5. Read- Ms. Britten
    • “I enjoy a good book and some quiet time. I’m a big fan of historical fiction and reading someone else’s adventures take me to a different place and helps me to forget and leave my trouble behind.”
  6. Shop- Ms. Spillman
    • “I love to go shopping. I like to go downtown and feel the rush of the people and be able to the city while I shop. I don’t even have to buy anything, I like to just window shop. It’s a combination of excitement of the moment and spending the fruits of your labor that just put all your stress aside.”
  7. Meditate- Mr. Scotese
    • “Meditating focuses you on the moment and that is the most important thing. It keeps things from piling up ands it brings you into the moment, repeating a phrase or focusing on breathing, and it has a long lasting effect.”
  8. Laugh and exercise- Ms. Nelson
    • “I try to find things to be humorous and think positive thought. It always helps me remember the bigger picture. One thing does not determine my worth. It releases my energy and helps me focus on the task at hand.”
  9. Run and make lists- Ms. Pasulka
    • “I run and make lists; writing everything down helps to clear my head and it allows the true priorities to rise to the surface.”
  10. Read fashion blogs- Ms. Gallardo
    • “I take a few minutes every day to read fashion blogs. My favorite ones are www.tomandlorenzo.com and www.gofugyourself.com. The blogs are funny and I like pretty dresses.”