Boy volleyball preview

Peter Zajakowski Uhll, Sports and Health Editor

With the seasons starting to change, the returning warm weather is accompanied with new and exciting spring sports! Lacrosse, Baseball, Boys Volleyball, Track and Field, Boys Tennis, Water Polo, Girls Softball, and Girls Soccer all start their seasons during the spring. Each team plans on continuing WY’s legacy of athletic excellence, and it looks like they will be able to. One team with a promising season ahead of them is the Boys Volleyball team.

“I’m really excited for this season. We have a lot of talent on this team. I’m also really happy with our coaching staff this season,” says the head coach, Thom Guzi. Guzi has recruited WY alums Myles Miller ‘15 and Michael Quevedo ‘14 to come back and coach the Freshmen team. Both Miller and Quevedo were the team’s Varsity captains during their respective senior year seasons. Guzi also has Gabriella Lock coming back as the assistant Varsity coach. Aidan Kim ‘16, one of the team’s current Varsity captains, said, “I think we’ll be able to do well this year. This year is my last season with all the boys, and I hope that I’ll be able to lead us through a good season.” Kim says that although WY will definitely have a top-tier team, it is still going to be a challenge to beat their main competitors: Payton, Taft, and Von Steuben.  

The excitement for the starting season has begun to spread around the school. “I can’t wait to see some games. I love watching volleyball because it’s such a fast paced game,” says Sophie Lieb-Neri ‘16. Unfortunately, the excitement isn’t reflected in the number of boys planning to try-out for the team. “We had a meeting last week to give out some information, and the turnout was kind of disappointing. I don’t think that enough people knew about the meeting. I’m still hopeful though, the only turnout that matters is the one at tryouts,” says Guzi.

Tryouts are on March 7th, so if you don’t play a spring sport, come to the main gym and come show us what you got!