Blackhawks heading into the post season

Blackhawks heading into the post season

Billy Roche, Opinions Editor

The Blackhawks are off to another incredible start to their season. With a
37-18 record the ‘Hawks are sure to lock up a playoff spot for the sixth straight season. Having lost two of their top six forwards, along with a veteran defense, their lineup looked like it had many holes and people were skeptical of the Blackhawks potential coming into this season. While the lineup worried fans, general manager Stan Bowman worked his magic and managed to assemble yet another fantastic team. With the United Center only a couple blocks away from school, students have felt a little extra inclination to represent Chicago athletics.
Bowman signed Russian prodigy Artemi Panarin. At 24 years of age, Panarin is awing the league with his flashy moves and point totals. Panarin adequately filled the void of the departed Patrick Sharp, and he has found remarkable chemistry with all-star Patrick Kane, providing Blackhawk fans with an incredibly offensive team. Leading all rookies by over 20 points, Panarin is a clear favorite to be the Rookie of the Year.
There were a lot of questions about Patrick Kane heading into this season. Jerry Hack ‘16 said, “In spite of his allegation and all of the distractions at the beginning of the season Patrick Kane is giving his fans a whole lot to cheer about.” With the Patrick Kane trial dictating the media for a couple months, people became skeptical of Patrick Kane as an individual and a player. After the case was proved to be a hoax Kane was able to put of that all behind him and prove himself to his fans. Kane currently leads the NHL in points by almost 20 points and is on pace for 112 points this season, a number no one has reached for the past five seasons. One Blackhawks fan, Sophie Leib-Neri ‘16, said, “I came into this season with low expectations for the ‘Hawks but they’re actually playing really well. They’re fun to watch.”
The NHL is only a couple weeks away from the trade deadline and while the Blackhawks team seems pretty solidified, Stan Bowman said, “We’re open to looking at ways to strengthen our team and that could be through (adding) a forward or defense.” While the ‘Hawks get ready to coast into the postseason, they may do so with some new faces in their program. If there are any additions, it is likely that it will be a winger to play on the second or third line.
The ‘Hawks are playing great hockey and their great record is sure to lock them up a spot in the postseason where they will, yet again, be contenders for the Stanley Cup. Stay tuned into the Blackhawks festivity for some great, local entertainment.