Chicago hockey players unite as the Latin Romans team

William Roche, Opinions Editor

In a school renowned for their athletic excellence WY’s ice hockey scene often goes unnoticed. WY has a quasi hockey team that is comprised of students all throughout Chicago. A competitive hockey organization has been created by pooling kids from WY, Francis J. Parker, Latin, Northside, Walter Payton, Jones College Prep, British School of Chicago, and University of Chicago Lab.
The program is called the Latin Romans. This unique team offers an interesting experience for high school athletics. The hockey program is very competitive, and comprises of a JV and a Varsity team.

Playing in the elite league, the Latin Romans hockey program competes against the powerhouses of high school hockey including New Trier, Loyola, and Maine South. With nearly all of the high schools in Chicago combining to form one program, this restricts them to competition against suburban teams. This requires a lot of time and dedication as many games are at ice arenas many miles out of the city. Fortunately for WY students, the Latin Romans home ice arena is right on Loomis and Madison at Johnny’s Ice House.

Blackhawks aside, the hockey scene in inner city Chicago isn’t widely recognized. WY has been home to some incredible ice hockey players over the past few years. In the past several years WY has had students move on to play hockey at Amherst, Colgate, Trinity, Dartmouth, and Harvard. Each of these students represented the Latin Romans.

In what is often drowned out by the hype of the basketball team, Whitney Young has incredible athletes in every every sport. While WY’s hockey affiliation may not wear a dolphin on their chest, the players represent WY’s winning spirit and proudly compete with their school in mind. Whether it be on a court, field, or even on ice, WY is proudly represented with some of the most prestigious athletes in Chicago.