Boys and Girls Track season update

Kaelee Arrieta, Sports Editor

Boys’ track

The boys have started their season off strong even though they lost some key members from last year.

“There is a lot of potential for underclassmen and seniors have really stepped it up,” states Greg Franklin ‘16.

Their last meet was against Lane Tech, one of their biggest rivals. During the final 4 by 4 relay Evan Radomski ‘17 ran against another Lane competitor when he tripped and fell, leaving Radomski ’17 to lead his team to victory.

Franklin ‘16 also beat everyone in CPS for shot put. And Clayton Mendez ‘18 ran a 429.97 in the 1600 meters giving him the third fastest time in the nation for Freshman. The City Championships for Boys Track will be May 15.

Girls’ track

Last year the girls got 2nd in city right after Lane Tech, so this year the girls are running hard to win 1st place in the City Championships. In their latest meet the girls beat all the other CPS schools including Taft and Lane, which are some of the girls biggest rivals.

Frosh/Soph City qualifiers were April 25th and the team had at least one person qualify for every event. Gift Pendalton ‘18 came in first for the 100 meter hurdles. Joelle Ataessien ‘16 is currently the reigning champion for the 100 meter hurdles in Chicago and Azana Clark-Jordan ‘16 is seeded behind her. The varsity City Qualifiers are held on May 5th and the team is looking forward to city on May 9 at Hanson Stadium.