Boys swimming goes downstate

Aram Wilkinson, Staff Reporter

Since their freshman year, swimmers Mossimo Chavez ‘15 and Anthony Tremmel ‘15 have had a profound impact on our team. This year, our team has been the best it has been in a long time, ranked sixth in the state going into the state tournament.

On Feb 27, the boys made their way down to New Trier to compete in the preliminals for the state tournament. The way the tournament works is all the teams compete and the top 12 make it back to compete on Feb 28. Our ranking of six in the state is our highest rank going into state since 2011 and Chavez ‘15 finished second in the 50 yard freestyle. Tremmel ‘15 was ranked seventh in the state for fly and eleventh for back going into the tournament but unfortunately did not finish in the top 12, so he did not make it to the saturday finals.

“I strongly believe this is the best swim team in WY history and that we did as good as we could. I left it all out there.  Mossimo is one of the best swimmers in the state and I am very excited to see what he and I can do when we are swimming in college next year,” said Tremmel ‘15.

The 200 yard medley relay team took home an impressive seventh place finish. The team was made up of Julian Escasa ‘15, Tremmel ‘15, Chavez ‘15, and Zac Stensland ‘15. Chavez closed it out in 19.60 seconds, the fastest leg in the finals.

“I dont really know how I went so fast, It was an amazing feeling to finish off the race like that for my team,” said Chavez.

Chavez ‘15 will be moving on to swim at the Division One level next year and is expected to choose from an impressive group of schools very shortly. he is choosing between UNC  and Ohio State. Tremmel ‘15 will also be committing to a Division One school shortly and his options include Florida State University, South Carolina, and Missouri.

Mossimo Chavez '15 Tony Tremmel '15 Julian Escaba '15 and Zac Stensland '15 posing after finishing seventh in the medley relay
Mossimo Chavez ’15 Tony Tremmel ’15 Julian Escasa ’15 and Zac Stensland ’15 posing after finishing seventh in the medley relay