Athlete Spotlight: Jonathan Eng

Kaelee Arrieta, Sports Editor

jonathan

When/how did you start playing baseball?

I started playing baseball when I was three because there was a T-Ball league in my neighborhood and my parents were interested in the game.

How do you balance your time between schoolwork and sports?

Baseball has taught me a lot of time management skills and actually has helped me with my school work. I try to get all my homework and studying in during my free time.

Do you have any pregame rituals?

I don’t have a specific ritual, but last year before every game I tried to piss off Alex Mitchell during warm-ups.

What is the best piece of advice you could give another aspiring baseball player?

My best piece of advice I could give to an aspiring baseball player would just be to play as much as you can. The great thing about baseball is you don’t have to be the tallest, biggest, or smartest to be very successful. Getting in as many reps as you can is the best way you can get better.

Are you going to play baseball in college?

Yes. I will be playing baseball next year at NYU.

Can you see yourself being a professional baseball player?

My goal has always been to play baseball while attending a school with great academics. Right now I’m only focused on competing and succeeding at the college level, but later on if I feel like I’ll be able to compete professionally then I’ll give it a thought. But getting good grades and a great job opportunity after college are much higher goals for me.

What clubs have you played for?

I’ve played for club teams around the Midwest since I was 11 and I would also add this as advice to young players. Playing club is very important in exposing yourself to college coaches and opportunities after high school. It also features higher level competition to compete in since we play teams from all over the country.

How big of a role does baseball play in your life?

Baseball plays a huge role in my life because it defines me, whether you’d like to think of it in a good or bad way. I’ve learned so many life lessons playing the game and I know that it will continue to be apart of my life forever.