Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

Break-Up Season Tips

Creative Commons

Is it the weather? Or is it the fact that we have a lot of work on our plate? January is known as the unofficial breakup month. Refinery 29 highlights a pattern: many relationships end during or after holiday breaks. Before and after winter break, high school students are finishing up their first semester with final exams and make-up work while also trying to enjoy their break. This is also an important time for seniors; they’re wrapping up their final high school year, finishing college applications, and preparing to complete the FAFSA. Here are some tips that can help anyone going through a breakup this winter.

• Reflect on your past. Consider your mistakes and your successes in the relationship. What about your relationship made you feel content, and what about it made you feel dissatisfied or regretful? Figure out what truly matters to you, whether it’s about personal growth or a relationship. You have a fresh start with the new year; make the most of it.

• Dedicate yourself to new goals, both internal and external. Start fixing your sleep schedule, or make some more time for that class you’re failing. Your goal doesn’t have to be academic-related. Spend some more time with friends and family. Spending time with people “help[s] increase our sense of belonging, improve our self-confidence and help reduce stress and anxiety.” says Mental Health First Aid.

• Remember, it’s normal to feel upset and/or miss your ex-partner. It’s okay to cry it out. Adding to the breakup, the cold winter weather and short days can decrease our mood and behavior. “More than 40% of Americans experience these symptoms to some degree in the winter months.” according to Scientific American. As teenagers, we have more emotions, and we shouldn’t bottle them up.

While the idea of a high school breakup may seem very cliché and cringeworthy, it can really have an impact on someone’s emotional well-being. Hopefully, these tips associated with self-reflection, goal-setting, and acknowledgment of emotions can guide individuals into a healing journey and embrace a new part of themselves. Remember that we are still young, and we have many more opportunities that await us in the future!