Billy Goat Tavern: An Honest Review

Just a stone’s throw from our school lies a well-known burger establishment by the name of Billy Goat Tavern. Known for its budget-friendly prices, Billy Goat has been a go-to for countless high schoolers, city folk, and tourists alike. But is the visit worth it when it comes to the quality of the food?

Billy Goat dates back to 1934 and is integral to our city’s rich culinary tradition. It all started when Greek immigrant William Sianis purchased what was originally the Lincoln Tavern at 1855 West Madison Street for $205. One night at the tavern, a goat fell off a truck and wandered inside. Sianis adopted the goat, grew a goatee, and acquired the nickname “Billy Goat”. The name stuck, and eventually Sianis changed the name of the restaurant to Billy Goat Tavern (Billy Goat Tavern). Today, its proximity to Whitney Young and central location in the city make it a popular choice for students, nearby office workers, and sports fans in search of a quick and affordable meal. 

The restaurant’s quirky decorations and ambiance create an unique and fascinating atmosphere that pulls the customer in. The walls are lined with memorabilia and newspaper clippings, and as you order you are met with the all-too-famous “Cheezborger! Cheezborger!” sign. As you approach the counter, a friendly lady asks for your order. She promptly assumes you’re ordering either a single or double Whitney Special, and she’s right. Seven dollars even for a single special, eight for a double. It’s that simple. A medium-sized burger, a soft drink (with free refills), and a good amount of fries. “The prices relative to the quality of the food is decent,” says senior Benjamin Smith. “The food is meh, but the prices are good, so it works out.”

While the prices at Billy Goat may cater to students on a tight budget, there is substantial room for improvement in terms of food quality. Often customers walk in with high hopes knowing Billy Goat is “world-famous”, but are soon faced with a rather disappointing reality. The burgers are no Small Cheval, but they don’t cost $20 either. Although relatively generous in size, they are quite dry and resemble a taste similar to cardboard. Even a Big Mac for a similar price has much more flavor than a burger from Billy Goat. The fries aren’t really anything to write home about either, considering how difficult it is to mess an order of fries up. They are about as basic as fries get; slightly crispy, and sparsely salted. 

Amid all the culinary shortcomings, Billy Goat has its charms. The staff provides a warm atmosphere for the customer, and the history and promise of good times draw some attention away from the strikingly mediocre food.

Billy Goat’s location and prices make it an accessible and adequate choice for anyone looking for a meal without breaking the bank. However, it’s important to manage your expectations for the food, as you will definitely not be paying for the best burger and fries of your life here. While Billy Goat Tavern may not be the ultimate destination for a gourmet dining experience, it remains an iconic part of our city’s history. If you are looking for a convenient meal without breaking the bank, Billy Goat is certainly worth a visit, even if their food errs on the side of mediocre rather than excellent.