Another Year, Another Schedule

Since the pandemic, Whitney Young’s schedule has experienced major changes. From the switch to a block schedule to the addition of enrichment over the past few years, this year’s schedule has moved enrichment and advisory up to after the first period. This change has its pros—and cons. 

The new schedule placing enrichment and advisory in the morning allows students to stay after class to ask questions or to potentially meet with teachers before a test. Administration claims that the schedule change improves attendance, so it also allows teachers to conveniently make announcements to their division without concerns about missing students. However, this means that most club meetings also must occur during this time, which could disrupt the school day depending on the club. 

“Fun-wise, last year was better, but productivity-wise, this is better,” freshman Rizqi Suryoputro comments. 

Mila Salazar, junior, much prefers last year’s schedule with enrichment at the end of the day. “I hate it,” she boldly states in response to whether or not she likes the new schedule. She likes having a break at the end of the school day, which last year’s schedule provided. 

On the other hand, senior Mia Andrews likes the current placement of enrichment and advisory. They like having a break in the middle of the day. 

“When your last class finishes, you’re actually done with the day instead of having to go to enrichment,” Mia says. 

In addition to the vast opinions on the new schedule, some also do not like the continuation of the block schedule. As one of the few current students who still remember Whitney Young’s eight-period schedule, Mia wants to go back to having all of their classes every day. They feel that block periods can be too long, and are only useful to a few classes. The old, eight-period schedule also placed advisory near the beginning of the day. 

While there are many different opinions on whether or not the new schedule is beneficial, this is the schedule we will have for at least this whole year. Maybe, just a couple of years from now, students will be hoping to go back to the schedule we have now.