8 Days: Go to the Game, not the Doctor (Bacon)
Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors

April 25, 2024

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

Why are PE Uniforms still necessary?

One of the great freedoms we have in this school is the lack of an enforced dress code. We enjoy being able to express ourselves with our clothing. However, the school appears to harbor a different philosophy for their mandated PE classes for ackies, freshman, and sophomores. 

Most schools justify PE uniforms by asserting that it actively encourages students to have pride in doing physical activity and helps the school keep track of kids during PE. In addition, they argue that a PE uniform ensures that all students are in appropriate attire to participate in physical activity. However, I’ve always felt that PE uniforms were always an unnecessary and even harmful addition.

In recent years, organizations have taken major steps towards fighting socioeconomic inequality. At Whitney Young, resources such as fee waivers can help alleviate the financial stress that school imposes on families. It is understandable that the school requires funds in order to pay for its costs. However, it is much more difficult to justify having an essentially mandatory PE uniform policy. If a student does not show up to PE with a full uniform, they have their participation points deducted for the day and will struggle to receive a passing grade. This forces a student to purchase either one or multiple PE uniforms. This becomes an unnecessary economic burden on many families which comes with little benefit. As one senior said, “You have to either buy one uniform and wash it three times a week or buy multiple uniforms… What’s the point?”

I wonder the same. It is easy to point out that there is a monetary benefit to be had for the school but much more difficult to find a practical benefit for the students. The benefit is enough for the school to maintain a section on the store in the school’s website, wyoung.org.   I would agree with the concept that PE uniforms ensure appropriate attire for PE class but students are allowed to participate in PE regardless of their attire. The only punishment is a deduction of participation points and a stern warning from the teacher. 

I would like to see a change in the PE uniform policy. At minimum, there needs to be change regarding the grading policy involving PE uniforms. There is no reason that a family should be pressured into any financial burden in order to improve their child’s grade. If possible, the school should find a way to fully subsidize the PE uniforms for students. There is certainly a need for appropriate attire for PE but I don’t believe the school’s current approach is the best.