Fall Sports Summary

Courtesy of Girls Flag Football

Whitney Young is a great school education wise, but we are also a great school for athletics. Did you know that we are the only school in Illinois with a No. 1 NFL draft pick? That was Russell Maryland, who was drafted in 1991 and won the Super Bowl 3 times. Quentin Richardson also went to Whitney Young, and he played in the NBA for 13 years! Katrina Adams is a tennis player from Whitney Young who has made over 1 million dollars in prize money and is the president of the United States Tennis Association. But this article is not about our great history. It is about how we are doing now.

In the fall, Whitney Young has a football team, a cross country team, a flag football team, golf teams, cheer and pom poms, soccer, softball, and swimming. The football team is back to being good after a bad season last year, and we currently have a 0.667% win rate, which isn’t bad at all. Under Coach Finger, we are 20-17 and getting better and better, and in another article about the homecoming game you can see more stats if you wish.

The flag football team is really cool. Flag Football is a surging sport in the United States, and Whitney Young’s team is trailblazing. They even got a chance to play on Soldier Field during halftime at a Bears preseason game! It was really cool! Our team is really good, too. There are only 16 teams in the state and we are the 3rd best! We have 11 wins and only 2 losses! This is an amazing team that you should definitely try to see.

Whitney Young soccer is also doing well this year. We are 11-5-2, and 2nd in our Conference. Reese Kruschke has been scoring a lot and we are 44th in the city. We have been winning by as much as 5 goals and are looking pretty good overall.

There it is: a summary of fall sports at Whitney Young. Good luck to all these teams as the season starts to wind down and try to see as many of these teams as you can. I can promise you that you won’t regret it. Let’s go Dolphins!