2022 Dolphins Baseball Season in a Snapshot

Benjamin King, Contributing Writer

As you may know, with the school year coming to a close, this also means that the spring baseball season is also ending. It ended up being an above average season from the Dolphins, as they head into state playoffs with a 17-13 record, and a 7-7 record in the toughest conference in the city. This season provided many memorable wins. In just the fifth game of the year, the Dolphins matched up with the team that knocked them out of the state playoffs last season, the Evanston Wildkits. It was a revenge game for all of the returning players. The Dolphins ended up winning this blizzard game 3-0 behind five innings of shutout pitching by senior Ben King. Evanston would end up being ranked up to 14th in the state during the course of this season. Another memorable win came on the team’s trip to Myrtle Beach, SC, when they faced El Mira, a team from New York. After going down 3-0 in the first inning and 4-2 in the second inning, the Dolphins scored 11 runs combined in the next two innings to end up slaughtering El Mira 15-5 in a high energy night game. The Dolphins also beat rival Lane Tech for the first time in eight years when they won 3-2 at Lane. This game went into extra innings, and was won on a steal of home by senior Brendan Summerhill. Senior Ben King and junior Josh Schmidt combined to throw all 9 innings while only giving up 3 hits and 2 runs and striking out 12 Lane hitters in the process.

Looking at the season as a whole, the Dolphins had many bright spots. On the offensive side of the ball, reigning Jackie Robinson North player of the year and Arizona commit Brendan Summerhill had a whopping .571 batting average, hit 9 home runs, and recorded 40 runs batted in over the course of the season. Other bright spots included freshman Luke Yolich, who hit .404 with 41 RBIs, and senior Alex Wilen who hit at a .333 average. On the other side of the ball, we had some great pitching. Macalester Baseball commit Ben King and Junior Josh Schmidt shared the conference lead with 52 strikeouts, and had a 2.71 and 2.80 earned run average respectively, which was good for 5th and 6th in the conference. Other bright spots included Sophomore Jimmy Anastisi who had a 2.91 ERA and Senior Logan Banks who notched 42 strikeouts and had a very respectable 3.75 ERA.