Meghan and Harry Leave The Royals

Genesis Rivera, Editor

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s wedding was held on May 19th, 2018. Soon after they got married, British tabloids began to ruthlessly publish articles insulting the newly-wed Duchess of Sussex. With news covers such as, “How Meghan Markle’s flowers may have put Princess Charlotte’s life at risk” and “Memo to Meghan: Brits prefer true royalty,” Meghan was constantly attacked. 

Now, it seems, after facing months of scrutiny, Prince Harry and Princess Meghan have had enough. On January 8, they posted on Instagram about their “plans to relinquish their positions as ‘senior’ members of the British royal family. Needless to say, the royal family, along with the people of Britain and British tabloids, were shocked and upset. Articles with the captions “MEGXIT,” “Queen’s Dismay…,“”Queen’s Fury…” have been flooding British media, spreading more hate towards Harry and Meghan. Madame Tussauds has even removed their wax figures from her wax museum, claiming that since they’re no longer Royals, they don’t deserve to be there. When asked her reaction on Meghan and Harry’s relinquishment, Whitney Young student Adaeze Asonye ‘20 noted, “It was bound to happen because of all the hate Meghan has been facing, hate that Kate never received.” This brought in the question of racism in British media. Was Meghan being ostracized due to her race? Anais Mancini ‘20 believes she was, saying that her treatment is unfair. What do you think?