Is Homecoming Ruined?

Jenny Chen, Editor

It has almost been a month since the start of the new school year, yet CPS teachers already plan to go on strike, potentially causing 600 schools to shut down. Whitney Young students have mixed responses to the possible school shutdown. “It’ll extend the school year into the summer and would interrupt the learning that we just started, so we would have to come back to relearn stuff we already had before the strike,” said Kaitlyn Ridgeway ‘21. While Aryanna Pacheco,‘21, said that “They (the teachers) deserve it after all their hard work.”

Teachers are planning to strike on October 7th, which is exactly a week from Whitney Young’s homecoming. “Homecoming week is one of the most exciting weeks of the school year,” said Jessie Chen, ‘22. Most of us can agree on this, but this year it is a little different because of the strike. Does this mean homecoming will be delayed? Will homecoming even happen? Nobody knows for sure. “I just hope homecoming won’t get canceled,” said Caitlyn Lee, class of ‘23. 

As of now, nothing is certain about the strike. Not even the teachers know much about what will happen. What do you guys think about the teachers striking? Do you guys support it? Comments welcome.