Gunna’s Drip or Drown II

Skylar Mooyoung, Writer

Last Friday, Gunna released his highly anticipated album Drip or Drown II. Born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia, Gunna was discovered by Atlanta legend, Young Thug. Recognized for his unique sound and style, Gunna has become one of the hottest rappers out right now. He has released a few projects over the years but his first big album was Drip or Drown. Laced with distinctive beats and talented featured artists, Drip or Drown put Gunna on the map. Jada Middleton ‘21 says, “I loved Gunna Drip or Drown album. I listened to it almost every day. This is how I discovered Gunna.”

Immediately following this album, Gunna began to pop up on everyone’s radar. Every song he is featured on became an instant hit. From songs like “Can’t Leave Without It” by 21 Savage to “Yosemite” by Travis Scott, Gunna’s verses helped songs become chart toppers. Gunna making hit after hit created a snowball effect that allowed him to gather quite the fan base. When Gunna announced he would be releasing a sequel to his beloved Drip or Drown, people could not stop talking about it. The buzz for the album cover, tracklist and tour dates was high. Keenan Jones ‘19 said, “I was never really a big Gunna fan and never listened to him but I like his new project Drip or Drown II.” His highly anticipated sophomore album has been a topic of discussion on social media platforms everywhere.

Based on reviews and comments, people seem to love his new project. Featuring artists like Young Thug and Playboi Carti, Gunna has established himself as an artist to watch. Perri Lucas ‘20 says, “I love Gunna’s new album and the artists he got to feature really complement his sound well.” Gunna’s Drip or Drown II is being raved about and if you haven’t listened to it yet, you should. Drip or Drown II is currently available on streaming platforms everywhere.