Safe Sex

Safe Sex

Karina Santiago, Writer

As high school students, we feel nervous or uncomfortable about bringing up condoms and birth control, but talking about protecting yourself is an important part of being sexually active. It’s actually very normal to . And imagine how much more difficult it would be to bring up your STDs or unplanned pregnancy. So here are some important things to remember if you are going to or are thinking about having safe sex:

• If you have vaginal sex (penis-in-vagina), it’s really important to use both a condom and another form of birth control (like the pill or the IUD). That way you’re protected from both pregnancy and STDs. So talk about both.
  • If you have anal sex, you need to use a condom and lubricant.
  • For oral sex, use a condom or dental dam. Using all this stuff is sometimes called “safer sex”, since you’re lowering your risk of pregnancy and STDs.
  • Talking about STDs is just as important as talking about preventing pregnancy. And just because you’re not having vaginal sex doesn’t mean you don’t have to talk – STDs are a possibility with any kind of sex.

If you’re not sure what to say, practice beforehand. Then, choose a good time to talk to your partner. If your partner refuses to use protection, then they aren’t showing respect for you or your health.