Kayla Bilal ’19

Karina Santiago, Writer

Kayla Bilal is currently a senior here at Whitney M. Young Magnet High School. I have had the absolute pleasure of being friends with her since 7th grade. Anyone who knows her, knows that there is so much to admire about her. She is an incredibly talented dancer. She has been dancing for many years now and is currently captain of the Whitney Young Poms team. Melissa Cerimovic ‘19, one of her Dance 4 classmates, described Kayla as, “an amazing choreographer, and I just love her style of dancing and the way she hits every movements she makes.” She is just so committed to everything she does.

Not only is Kayla talented but she is also such a great friend. She thinks about others and really listens and cares about what other people have to say. I can always count on her to give good advice and to overall brighten up my day. Kayla is honestly so much fun to be around and can always find a way to make me laugh even when I’ve been feeling down. And I’m not the only person who thinks this way about her. Caitlin Smith ‘19 stated, “Kayla is so funny, just her overall vibe and personality is lighthearted and goofy, which feels so good to be around.” Along with Caitlins statement, Alex Strong ‘19 mentioned how he, “always feels happy to be around her. If I’m going somewhere and I hear that Kayla’s gonna be there, then I know we’re going to have blast and that I will definitely be laughing a lot. Especially since we’re both a couple of goofs.” Her humor is so contagious that it causes people to love being around her. And that’s such an amazing quality to have.

Kayla is very humble and kind to everyone. But the most special thing and what I admire most about her is how much love she can give. She might not constantly show it in the most conventional ways, even though she does a lot. But the way she looks out for her friends and how much she genuinely cares about them is incredible.  I truly feel extremely lucky to be able to call her one of my best friends.