The Heart of School Spirit

Caitlin Smith

Whitney Young is known for its balance between academics, arts, and sports. We celebrate our school spirit through sports games and pep rallies. The heart of our school spirit comes from our students, Poms team, and cheerleaders. Khayin Maheia, a current senior, is one of the three captains on our Whitney Young Cheer Team. She has been a captain of cheer since the beginning of her senior year and joined cheer during her sophomore year of high school. “I joined because I had cheered for years, and I knew it was a sport I was good at. After experimenting with other sports that interested me during my freshman year, I knew that I was better off cheering because it’s something I’m passionate about,” Khayin Maheia ‘19 The Whitney Young Cheer Team has completed in past competitions.

They recently competed in the City Championships and came in 4th place. Cheerleading involves dancing, stunting, and chanting. For Khayin, her favorite part about cheerleading is competing. “I love performing. It’s an unmatched experience,” Khayin Maheia ‘19. Based on her past years of performing and training for cheer, it’s common for someone with her experience to pursue cheerleading in college. Unfortunately, Khayin does not think she will continue cheering in college. “I don’t think I’ll cheer in college, but I might participate in Stunt, which is a new sport that branched off from cheer,” Khayin Maheia ‘19. We hope you continue pursuing what you are passionate about.