CTA Trains

Caitlin Smith

It’s that time of year again! The CTA Holiday Trains are back for the season. This well known tradition has been around since 1992.  The “Season’s Greetings from the CTA” sign was placed on the front of an out-of-service train used to deliver food to various charities. Over the years, this CTA holiday tradition has evolved to become a joyous sight to see in daytime or nighttime. Today, as the train pulls into each station, Santa waves to the pedestrians from his sleigh on an open-air flatcar carrying his reindeer and decorated holiday trees. This well known tradition has been seen by the Racine Blue Line stop near Whitney Young. A few students discussed their experience with the CTA Holiday Trains. One student, Catalina Torres Reyes ‘19 stated, “I love the CTA Holiday Trains. My first time on the trains was during my freshman year of high school. My friends and I took the train downtown and explored the city. It was a great experience.” Another student, Leah Malan ‘19 stated, “It’s one of the many winter holiday traditions I look forward to. It’s a great family activity. Just take the train somewhere, and go out to a cafe or go ice skating!” A statement from CTA came out stating, “We strongly encourage you to use the holiday bus tracker to track the whereabouts of Ralphie and Santa along the scheduled route.” So, plan accordingly and go see the CTA Holiday Trains!