The Oscars 2019

Karina Santiago, Writer

Although the Oscars won’t air until February 24, 2019, they just announced their nominations this past Tuesday, January 22. Many Whitney Young students are excited that their favorite movies, actor/actresses, shows, etc. of the year have been nominated for various prestigious awards.

The show is expected to be one of the most talked about because as of this moment, the Oscars are not planning to have a host after the whole Kevin Hart situation. This will be the first time the oscars won’t have a host. Despite this, many are anxious to see where politics will come into play during the show as they usually do. With everything going on with the government and the actions of President Trump; we await to see if it will be shown here or if it will even be addressed.

With a long list of amazing nominees, the biggest award of the night, for best picture is up for grabs. Some of those nominated include “Black Panther” which is favored to win, as well “A Star Is Born”. However, many are predicting a win for Alfonso Cuarón’sRoma”, which has been seen as the underdog. Darius Hazen ‘20 has hopes saying “Black Panther was an extraordinary movie that did numbers, it should pull through and get the win.”  This has been an exciting year for film, where all of the nominations are truly exceptional and award worthy. It’s a race to the finish and as track star Samuel Rivera ‘19 stated, “I can’t wait to see who’s gonna win.”