Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

What Not To Get on Valentine’s Day

https://www.rawpixel.com/image/3285052
Paper heart decoration for Valentine’s. Original public domain image from Wikimedia Commons

Valentine’s Day is coming up, so many are scrambling to purchase the best gift for their partner. With that in mind, here’s a list of some gifts that just kind of suck. 

Gifts are often subjective; some things that are thought of as bad gifts might be the perfect thing to buy your partner. However, there are some gifts that, unless you really know your partner wants it, you should definitely avoid. A classic example of this is a heart shaped necklace, a gift often mentioned on social media by women as distasteful.

Normally, the best gift you can give is something heartfelt or sentimental, or a small thing that shows you’re thinking about the other person. Many would appreciate a simple note or box of chocolates on the holiday. Valentine’s Day isn’t necessarily an occasion to go all-out for, in most cases, it’s better to keep it simple. There are some gifts that are too simple, though. “I hate store-bought cards,” Adam Abiade, senior, complains. “They feel insincere, even with a handwritten message inside.” It’s easy to make a handwritten card, so to many, store bought cards feel like a thoughtless last minute gift. Sydney Choi adds, “Those ugly stuffed animals from Walgreens feel so fake. There are so many better ones out there at a similar price point.” 

If you choose to buy more generic gifts, there are some details you should consider. Flowers, for example, are a great gift, but the type of flower you purchase can greatly affect the receiver’s reaction. Roses are a good go-to, but if you know your partner’s favorite flower or color, you can personalize the gift, and show that you were thinking of the other person when you bought it. Another small detail to consider for a basic gift is allergies and preferences for sweets or chocolates. Another senior gives an example, stating “chocolate covered bananas shouldn’t exist. If I got gifted something like that, I might rethink my relationship. It just shows that the other person doesn’t really know me.” Harsh, but it demonstrates how badly getting a thoughtless gift can affect someone’s perception of you. 

Overall, if you know your partner, it should be quite easy to buy or make something not terrible for Valentine’s Day. If the person cares about you, a heartfelt or thoughtful gift is all you need. As long as your gift demonstrates that you were thinking about the person when you picked it out, your partner should be able to appreciate it.