Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

Rom-coms To Watch With Your Friends

Rom-coms To Watch With Your Friends

Valentine’s season can be a little lonely, but the perfect remedy is watching romantic comedies with your friends! The lightness and fun of Rom-Coms are meant to be a shared experience among friends and family! If you are looking for some movies to share with people here are my top four suggestions for heartwarming, hilarious, and exciting romantic comedies to watch:

• When Harry Met Sally

Creative Commons image from flickr

Link To When Harry Met Sally Trailer

My Short Review: Based on one of the most popular tropes of all time: friends to lovers. I really like this take on the roller coaster that is being an adult and how a best friend can support you, love you, and laugh with you through it all. This movie also has some really good one-liners mixed in with very earnest monologues. An example is Harry’s confession, “I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible,” which is truly heartwarming after such a slow-burn romance. The best part is that they’re so weird and let each other be their weird most true selves.

• Love and Basketball

Creative Commons image from flickr

Link To Love and Basketball Trailer

My Short Review: Another friends to lovers movie, but this time starting from childhood. So extremely relatable for all the student-athletes out there. It’s about juggling the love of the game with life and lovers. I really enjoy how the main characters both parallel each other but have interesting storylines at the same time. The themes of success, love for the game, and confidence in the people closest to you come together beautifully in unity in this movie.

• Empire Records

Creative Commons image from flickr

Link To Empire Records Trailer

My Short Review: This is my favorite movie of all time. Literally. I have probably watched it like a million times. It’s absolutely hilarious. A really good mix of teenage whimsy and witty sarcasm. The more serious themes do hit pretty hard and quickly, but don’t feel rushed. The storyline isn’t necessarily very linear, but my friends (who wish to stay anonymous) I’ve shown this movie to agree that “it adds to the charm of the movie.”  All the characters are super unique and lovable too. My favorite character is Lucas for his aloofness and his iconic line, “Damn the Man!” 

• Fools Rush In

Creative Commons image from IMDb

Link To Fools Rush In Trailer

My Short Review: I absolutely adore Selma Hayek and Matthew Perry in this movie. They have the sweetest and most comedic chemistry. I especially like the themes of the importance of family and family culture. Also, the callbacks to the song Can’t Help Falling In Love by Elvis are so adorable. Also, it’s super amusing to witness the sheer amount of culture shock moments that Matthew Perry’s character has. Additionally, the movie was so profound to these actors that it created a bond that Selma Hayek described as a “special bond that happens when you share dreams with someone.” All in all a great balance of cultural commentary, sweetness, and comedy.