Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

Things to Do During Winter Break

With winter break quickly approaching, some of us may be traveling or going to visit family, but many of us are choosing to simply stay home. For those of us staying in Chicago, there are plenty of activities, many of which are free, to unwind from finals week and enjoy the holiday season. 

A classic winter activity is going ice skating. A popular option is Maggie Daley Park’s Ice Skating Ribbon, located in Downtown Chicago at 337 E Randolph St. During the holiday season, from December 15th, 2023 to January 7th, 2023, it costs $20 per person for online reservations, and is open every day from 9AM to 9:30PM. Outside of these dates, the ribbon is free to enjoy if you bring your own ice skates.Senior Adam Abiade enjoys winter by taking runs along the riverside. 

“It’s cold, but it’s fun seeing the scenery of the Chicago skyline.”

Those that prefer walking can also explore Downtown Chicago and take a stroll along the Macy’s window displays, or explore the Christkindlmarkt. This German marketplace is located on 50 W Washington St, and runs through December 24th, 2023. It is open from 11AM to 8 or 9PM each day. You can enjoy a cup of hot chocolate or purchase a variety of hand painted ornaments, but it’s free to simply browse around and take in the holiday atmosphere.

Lisari Edirisinghe enjoys viewing the ZooLights. “I really enjoy seeing the pretty holiday lights at Lincoln Park Zoo,” she says.
    Lincoln Park Zoo is located at 2001 N. Clark St, and general admission is free for everyone. The ZooLights exhibition is free on Mondays, and $7-$10 the rest of the week. This exhibition will run through January 7th, 2024.

For those that favor a warmer, indoor space, the Garfield Park Conservatory’s Winter Flower Show also goes through January 7, showcasing a variety of wintry foliage. The conservatory is located at 300 N Central Park Ave, and offers free admission. Many of Chicago’s museums are also offering free admission days throughout December. 

Mia Andrews often visits museums with their family during winter break. Their favorite is Shedd Aquarium, located on 1200 S DuSable Lake Shore Dr. The aquarium is offering free admission on various days this winter, and is open from 9AM-5PM. Tickets can be reserved online before you visit.

“It’s a great time to simply spend time with family, and for free,” says Mia.

Regardless of what your ideal winter activity may be, from ice skating to drinking hot chocolate, there is something for everyone in Chicago this holiday season.