Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

Things To Do In Chicago Over Winter Break

Winter break is quickly approaching, and with it comes magic in the air! While many families enjoy going on vacation at this time of the year, there are just as many exciting activities to participate in Chicago’s snowy wonderland.

The first activity located right here in Chicago is the Christkindlmarket (50 West Washington Street). This outdoor market located right in the center of downtown is known for its holiday cheer, high quality gifts, and delicious food that celebrates German and European cultures and traditions. Running through December 24th, the Christkindlmarket is the perfect place to create unique memories. Senior Kasandra Facio described it best, saying, “The bright lights and Christmas decorations throughout the market paired with the smell of freshly baked food create a magical atmosphere that would make anyone feel like they’re straight out of a Christmas movie.” 

Next, we have ZooLights at Lincoln Park Zoo (2001 North Clark Street), which will be returning for its 29th year this season. During this event, the normally serene zoo turns into a shimmering winter wonderland as trees, exhibits, and landscapes are lit up with over a million LED lights. This year, the zoo has also stepped up a notch, as there will be new displays, interactive elements, and a never before seen garden themed light show on the zoo’s south lawn. Zoolights will run until January 7th, 2024, so make sure to catch this enchanting experience before it’s too late.

Another holiday festivity is Navy Pier’s Light Up The Lake event (600 East Grand Avenue). This event is Chicago’s largest indoor and outdoor holiday experience, with entertainment such as lakefront light displays, fireworks, smores, and much more. This winter celebration along one of Chicago’s top destinations will be happening for the rest of the year, wrapping up on December 31st. Attending Light Up The Lake is seventh grader Xavier Tillis’ favorite tradition, as he says, “I love seeing the fireworks every year with my family, I think it makes us much closer.”

A classic activity that of course could not be left off of the list is skating at the Ice Skating Ribbon in Maggie Daley Park (337 East Randolph Street). This year, the opportunity to ice skate on a winding path covering over twice the length of a lap around a normal ice skating rink will be open through March of 2024. It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or a seasoned skater, ice skating provides everyone the opportunity to gain the feeling of exhilaration as they freely glide across the ice.

Last but not least is the Jack Frost Pop-Up (170 North Green Street) located in Fullerton Market. The Jack Frost Pop-Up is a relatively newer event in Chicago, but that doesn’t mean it’s not the perfect place to celebrate the nostalgia that comes with the holiday season. This outdoor experience that runs until December 31st covers over two acres of land with all sorts of lively activities, ranging from winter bumper carts to axe throwing to pop-up shops. When asked about this experience, sophomore Miranda Diaz said, “I’ve never been to the pop-up before, but I’m looking forward to checking it out with my friends this year.”

Whether you’re skating on the ice, exploring festive markets, or simply looking at light displays, there are endless possibilities for winter fun in the comfort of our own city this holiday season.