8 Days: Go to the Game, not the Doctor (Bacon)
Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors

April 25, 2024

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

Holiday Decorations and More About Them

Decorations are an important part of every tradition and holiday. “Familiar holiday decorations trigger our nostalgic, happy memories about ourselves and our loved ones, which help our brains cope with current stressors,” according to licensed psychologist Kathryn Esquer, PsyD, MBA.

Christmas includes a variety of decorations. The four most popular ones are Christmas trees, wreaths, garlands, and mistletoes. All four of these decorations mostly consist of different shades of the same colors: red and green. This is due to the fact that in Christianity, red represents the blood of Jesus Christ while green represents the evergreen tree. Red and green also represent the leaves and holly berries embodying the crown of thorns on Jesus’ head while he was on the cross.

Other Christmas decorations are also representative. For example, wreaths symbolize infinity or wholeness. They may also represent the sun, moon, or the cycle of the season. Stockings recall the fullness of our lives and how important it is to ground ourselves down with our feet. Garlands with various flowers and leaves are often offered to deities and adorned to their status or images. Flower garlands are also presented to people as a sign of blessing and honor. 

However, Christmas is not the only holiday celebrated during the festive season; Hanukkah and Kwanzaa are also popular traditions. During Hanukkah, an object called a menorah is used to represent the sacred tree. The menorah has been the symbol of Jews and Judaism for over a millennia. In fact, it is the oldest continuously used religious symbol in Western civilization. Kwanzaa has no connection to Judaism though. Unlike Hanukkah’s 8-pronged menorah, Kwanzaa uses a 7-pronged kinara. Kwanzaa is a strictly secular holiday, meaning it is not associated with church or faith.

However, if you’re on a tight holiday budget this year and still have to buy presents, decorations, food, and fun activities, you may not be able to afford many Christmas decorations. That’s where DIY holiday decorating comes in. DIY decorations allow you to save money and customize decorations to your liking. Making your own stockings, wreaths, decorative garlands, homemade ornaments, and centerpieces can be a fun and beneficial activity for your holiday season festivities. 

With these ideas in mind, your holiday season is sure to be a wonderful one. These holiday decorations hold importance because they can make a home feel warm and inviting. Be creative and have fun with your holiday decorations!