Tackling the Blue House Bottleneck

The path to and from the arts building to the main building during passing periods will never be smooth. There’s just too many converging paths. From students walking to the arts building, gym, or to the academic building, everyone’s path seems to flow through that area, forming a flash mob every time the bell rings.

One way to avoid a large part of the traffic is to walk around to the south side of blue house. By taking this alternative route, students can save valuable time and avoid the congestion that often occurs at the staircase entrance. This detour not only helps students get to their classes more efficiently but also contributes to a smoother flow of foot traffic within the school, creating a less chaotic environment for everyone.

“They need to move out the way!”

-anonymous senior

“I guess they’re not breaking the rules, but it’s kind of annoying”

-anonymous sophomore

Another way to help promote the flow of foot traffic is to move conversations from the edge of blue house near the stairway to the center of the lunchroom. More often than not, groups of students can be spotted chatting with other students on the east side of blue house, an inconsiderate choice that has elicited disdain from many fellow students. This makes the bottleneck even worse for those traveling to and from the arts bridge and staircase. This problem can easily be avoided if students don’t stop to talk every time they see a friend walking in the opposite direction.

Overall, if students pay more attention to the space that they occupy and consider alternate routes, the blue house bottleneck can be much less of a headache for everyone.