Powerlifting Team replaces Weight Room with Mirrors
WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

WY Microwaves on Strike, Union Says

April 24, 2024

Ackies Secretly Congregate To Host Illegal Ackie-Sack Races

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young High School Installs New Windows To Education

April 23, 2024

Whitney Young Introduces a New Rollerblading Policy (Bacon)

April 19, 2024

GTA VI Mania

GTA VI Mania

March 12, 2024

Films and TV Shows for the Fall!

The beginning of the school year can be extremely stressful and hectic, getting to all your new classes on time and keeping up with the homework your brain isn’t used to after not going to school for three months. It’s so overwhelming sometimes, worrying about your grades and teachers and the future. I think we can all agree that all of it isn’t easy and sometimes we just need a break; to make school just seem more appealing somehow. Or, as they call it, “romanticize school.” This term basically means to just make school feel less devastating and a little more tolerable, or even enjoyable! We shouldn’t feel so low in our spirits and instead remind ourselves how beautiful fall is. Remove your negative energy and thoughts so you can embrace all the colorful leaves, Halloween decorations, the crisp air, violet sky, potential fall outfits, and how wonderful it feels to be productive in school.

I understand those who say that watching something is the worst way to spend your time, as some of my friends and classmates have told me. However, I strongly disagree because it is important to take breaks and allow yourself to be lazy sometimes. Enjoy a good movie and let all your thoughts and senses vanish into the screen. Let your entire self get pulled into the story. You’re not a student stressed about an exam, you’re a detective! You’re a princess! You’re a pony!

Movies are a huge staple in my life. I probably wouldn’t survive without the ability to watch Fantastic Mr. Fox seventeen times. A good movie can really make you feel something different than just constant stress and anxiety, reminding me there are more important things in life than simply math homework.

I don’t mean to distract you from all your important responsibilities, but when you can take a break, watch one of the movies/shows I listed. You deserve it, take care of yourself!

I’ve curated this list of films and TV shows, with their corresponding summaries and/or reviews (I promise, no spoilers!), so you can “romanticize” this school year or just to get into the spirit of September and the Spooky Season.

Films Summary/review
Hocus Pocus (1993) I know a lot of people really loved this movie, but it didn’t really stick out to me. However, it is a Halloween classic that I think everyone should watch during October, when all the decorations are up and pumpkins are around every house on your block. It’s got witches!
Corpse Bride (2005) A Tim Burton classic and the perfect film for a cold and gray evening. The music and stop motion animation is beautiful. I love Emily.
Coraline (2009) The amount of theories and Easter eggs in this film is insane! I highly recommend giving this movie a watch, being so beautifully and artfully crafted, and watching all the YouTube videos you can so you know all the crazy theories. Also, this movie is based off of another book and I’ve never read it, but I hear it’s a lot scarier.
The Addams Family (1991)

Addams Family Values (1993)

I liked both the original and the sequel. I just love the spooky vibe of these movies, these are classics for the fall and Halloween.
Knives Out (2019) The fall season is great for watching a good mystery. This one is my personal favorite. The setting and ambience in this movie is very fitting for this season and I can promise that you will love this movie.
So I Married an Axe Murderer (1993) This semi-thriller and romcom is very fun and light. It gets you in a good mood for sure, while engaging you with a somewhat thrilling and verhilarious story. The slam poetry also lowkey slaps.
Mona Lisa Smile (2003) Starring Julia Roberts, Kirsten Dunst, and Julia Stiles (some of the best female actresses ever) is a film that can really inspire you. If you are a fellow art/art history lover and advocate for feminism, you will really like this movie.
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) This movie, based off of the popular original children’s book by Roald Dahl, trended on TikTok for a while at some point and is worth the hype! It’s personally very nostalgic and the story is so moving. Some of the characters are extremely relatable and have great development towards the end. The colors are so vibrant and warm, perfect for fall!
Harry Potter (2001-2010) The magic, witches, and wizards are so perfect for the fall season. Hermione is also very smart and hard-working, so you should strive to be just like her. You should just watch all the Harry Potter movies anyway, whenever you can. It’s important for culture.
Legally Blonde (2001) Elle Woods is iconic! Definitely watch this if you want to feel empowered and ready to accomplish great things. Dream big and be like Elle.
Sword in the Stone (1963) Personally I find this movie very nostalgic and it may not be for you, but I think the lesson of the story is actually quite nice. Watch this movie and remind yourself that it’s worth it to go to school, learn about the world, read books, and challenge yourself!

TV shows Summary/review
Gilmore Girls (2000) This show is very popular and has a great cast of iconic characters. Personally, I think the drama is a little much, but that’s generally the point of the show. Plus, the main character, Rory Gilmore, is an excellent student, so I hope you gain some motivation to be just like her (minus some aspects I know a lot of fans will know about). She reads a lot too, so if you love to read, go online for her list of books mentioned in the show and read as much as you can (books are amazing).
Anne with an E (2017) I’ve unfortunately never read the original books but this coming-of-age show is already amazing on its own. I think it’s great to watch this if you’re new to Whitney Young and you can relate to someone who is struggling to make friends or figure out how everything works.

(Sorry, I don’t have many shows)

Make sure you watch TV responsibly, meaning don’t watch too much TV or movies just to procrastinate and get nothing done. This list is so you can feel motivated to get more done or to take a break after you finish studying for that one test in your planner I know you’ve been ignoring. I’m telling you to work hard and try your best, so don’t blame me if you miss all your homework assignments because you’ve been watching Gilmore Girls all week.

Happy studying and watching!