Intruders in the Building, Whitney Young Broken Into

James Rockey

On the afternoon of Tuesday, January 21st, two intruders were led out of the gym building in handcuffs. These intruders were identified as former Lane Tech students, and were found with a crowbar. Luckily, no students were harmed, but this breach has led to increased security around school. 

The day after the intrusion, Whitney Young Administration enforced the school rule that students wear their IDs around school. This measure was taken so everyone can more easily identify who is actually a Whitney Young student, but many students do not like having to wear their IDs.

Max Moore ‘21 said, “I am fully supportive of making our school a safer place, but I do not like wearing my ID. It ruins my outfits.” This statement seems to resonate with much of Whitney Young’s population. 

Others expressed distaste at the costs associated with purchasing new IDs. Patrick Moran ‘20 frequently loses his ID. When asked how he felt about the new ID policy he said, “I hate having to constantly purchase new IDs or temporary IDs. It’s really draining my wallet.” Now, people have more of an incentive to remember their ID before coming to school. 

While it is a hassle to wear your ID every day, people are supportive of the benefits of proper identification. Margo Cicero ‘22 commented, “I think school is going to be a much safer environment if we know who actually goes here.”

So remember: If you lose your ID and you need a quick copy, you can access your mobile ID online.