Advice From a Former Dolphin

Jasmine White, Editor

The transition from high school to college can be stressful so it can be helpful to hear from someone that already went through the process. Lauren Stanciel ‘18, who is currently studying at the University of Michigan and Natalie Woods ‘16, who is studying at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, shared some advice for seniors based on their experiences.

When it comes to applying to college:

“Apply to as many places as possible for early action. Don’t apply to schools because everyone else is applying there or just because they are elite schools.” – Lauren Stanciel ‘18

“If you are worried about your ability to pay tuition for a school you really want to go to, still apply. Some schools have merit scholarships or scholarships for specific programs/departments. Early action is your friend. And make it a priority to visit schools you are applying to/admitted to if you can. A lot of them do fly in programs in the fall and/or spring, and visiting is helpful for you to figure out where you’ll be the happiest.” – Natalie Woods ‘16

During the school year:

“Don’t slack off second semester, if it doesn’t end with your acceptance being rescinded you will end up in a grind of bad work ethics before college.” – Lauren Stanciel ‘18

Spend some time during senior year doing things you enjoy. It’s not too late to join new clubs or make new friends, or new memories with old friends. – Natalie Woods ‘16

For those that plan on living on campus,

“Make sure to bring the small things to college like paper clips and clorox wipes. Also, look into the different programs that can get you better housing.” – Lauren Stanciel ‘18

As for actual life during college,

“Everything kinda happens all at once in college. You are in a constant cycle of work and fun. You have to find a balance so that you don’t overwhelm yourself. Lastly, and this is the most important one, make sure to get enough sleep. Your sleep hours will be shifted from high school, so plan accordingly.” – Lauren Stanciel ‘18

Good luck to those going through the application process, and if you aren’t a senior it is never too early to start looking at your options!