• December 11Holiday Spectacular Concert November 19th

• December 11Choir Concert Wednesday Nov 12th

Sp00ky Szn: A “Status Update” on Whitney Young Students During the Spookiest Time of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

October has descended upon Chicago, and Whitney Young (left) students have very particular feelings about it, and what it has in store.

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Alec Thomas

It’s that special time of year again. The temperatures are going down, sweaters are being taken out of closets and dusted off, and mobs of pumpkin spice fanatics are raiding coffee shops everywhere. The last one may (or, gulp, may not) be a bit of an exaggeration. Autumn, and more specifically, October, is here. If you watch DubTV, which I sincerely hope you do, you likely learned how Autumn has recently turned sixteen and has assumed human form in which she finds love in the hit nature documentary, “Falling in Love with Autumn”…wait…that’s not a documentary? Oops. Though October is an exciting month for everybody, it’s also the time when seniors have to juggle school, extracurriculars, and their college applications. Sigh. Anyway, enough tangents. Let’s get to the main focus of this article: how Whitney Young students feel about October, and all its many “attributes.”

Raul Flores ‘19 says he really likes the cold weather, and “Halloween, of course.” Similar to many seniors, however, his current least favorite thing about October is how he has to do all of his college applications this month. Mateo Bajana ‘19 remarked about how, although he likes the spooky ambience of October, he dislikes the colder weather. Tristan Taylor ‘19 pointed out the benefits of the colder weather, saying that it makes running easier. Tristan also just so happens to be a member of the Varsity Cross Country Team. The Chicago Public Schools Cross Country Championship (Holy alliteration, Batman!) Meet takes place Saturday the 13th at Washington Park. It would be cool if you came out to cheer on both the girls and boys teams. Despite his fondness for the weather associated with October, Tristan said his least favorite thing about the month is how “some people decide that Halloween begins on October 1st.” June Tenfelde ‘20 disagrees. She says that, while she loves the temperature and atmosphere of October, her most favorite thing is the fact that Halloween begins specifically on October 1st and ends on October 31st. Tristan and June have both refused to make any additional comments regarding their heated and highly controversial debate at this time. Speaking of Tristan and his connections to October, Tristan’s birthday is on October 20th. Be sure to wish him a Happy Birthday if you see him in the halls or in class that day. That would mean a lot.

Anyway, whether you’re freezing your keister off, arguing about seasonal traditions, guzzling heated autumnal themed drinks, or coming to the realization that ‘it really do be like that sometimes,’ October stands out to all of us as either the spookiest, action-packed, college admissions based work-intensive, or one of the most festive months of the year. Whatever the case, it’s time to order a Halloween costume.

What do you like or dislike about October? Do you agree with Tristan or June? Will Alec ever be able to prove that the school actually is haunted?