Prom Court Application

Enrique Fuentes, Editor

On May 17th, 2018 at 1:37 pm Ms. El-Amin sent a mass email to the senior class. The latest email contains big news regarding the senior prom, which is June 1st at the Drake Hotel. Ms. El-Amin has sent out a link with the application to the Prom Court. Some seniors dream of being prom king or queen, while others really don’t care about it at all.

Movies and television shows like Pretty in Pink, Glee, Grease, Mean Girls, High School Musical and Footloose glorify and create high expectations for prom night. Prom night has been portrayed as one of the best nights in a teenager’s high school life. The food, the music, the dresses and the suits will all be on point. The most popular, and most attractive couple will be crowned prom king and prom queen at the end of the night.  There’s nothing bad about prom according to these movies. Junior, Jay Owens ‘19 said, “I would consider running in the future, the movies make being Prom King sound like a lot of fun.”

The dream of becoming prom king or prom king is close by for Whitney Young seniors. But signing this application isn’t as easy as a couple strokes of the pen. Being part of the Prom Court is an honor reserved for dedicated students.

To be eligible to be on the Prom Court, a senior needs to have a few things. Here’s the list:

1. A signature from their counselor verifying a 3.0 gpa.
  2. A signature from the vice principal or dean verifying good behavior.
  3. Two teacher recommendations.
  4. Twenty peer signatures from the class of 2018.
  5. A signature from a club sponsor
  6. A parent signature

It may seem like a lot of work for one night of royalty, but some people find the effort worth it.  “I personally wouldn’t put in all this work to be Prom Queen, but it must be fun if someone decides to do it,” said Paulina Tarasul ‘18.

Good luck to whoever decides to run!