Remembering Brandon Porter

Yearbook Photo of Brandon Porter

Yearbook Photo of Brandon Porter

Kyra Sobel, Editor

It has been about two weeks since the passing of Whitney Young Student, Brandon Porter. But his memory lives on throughout the school as seen by the art installation created by the Best Buddies Art Class, on the bridge. The artwork consists of messages and drawings on petals to create a blooming flower garden for Brandon. Many of his friends discussed his love for gardening. He will be remembered by many, like Ella McCarthy ’18. Ella describes Brandon as, “a smiley and kind person. He made my day every time I saw him.” She goes on to talk about how it still doesn’t make sense to her how someone could do such a thing to Brandon. Everyone is still in shock over it. Many media outlets have aired Brandon’s story, like the Chicago Sun Times.

Both the specialized services department and the Best Buddies club at Whitney, held fundraisers for the Porter family to pay for Brandon’s funeral. Nachos and baked goods were sold on Monday, February 12th.  Best Buddies board member, Ava Mariani ‘19 said, “the bake sale was a success! We made over $200 and we’re so amazed by everyone’s kindness.” The boys Basketball team also donated all the proceeds from their Senior Night game to Brandon’s family. From all the donations and small fundraisers, Brandon’s funeral and services are completely paid for, which is a small burden to take off of his grieving family.

On Tuesday February 20th, a memorial service will be held at school for Brandon. There will be a long division schedule, so the service can happen between 2nd and 3rd. It is open for anyone to attend and is greatly encouraged for everyone to pay their respects to a member of our Whitney Young family. A huge thanks goes to Mrs. Folkerts and the Best Buddies club for putting this memorial service together. I hope to see everyone there to honor an amazing student. Rest in peace Brandon, you will be dearly missed.