Healthy Habits

Terrie Briggs, Student Editor

(Students Study in Library, Terrie Briggs)

As the semester comes to a close, many students find themselves stressed about finals. Anxiety builds, tears flow, and for some people it seems like they just won’t make it. Siauna Respress ‘21 said “I’m struggling, that’s all I can say at this point”. She is not the only one. Studies have shown that 85% of female students expressed that feeling large levels of stress along with 32% of males. In order to deal with the stress caused by finals and other school-related pressures, many students result to unhealthy activities. A study showed that 14% of students admitted to indulging in alcohol as a means of dealing with stress. Finals can be a rough time for individuals as the tests are weighted heavily and can impact your future career as a student. People have even argued whether or not finals are a positive aspect of schooling that should remain. The future of finals is unsure but in the meantime, it is important for students to maintain mental and physical health.Jada Middleton ‘22 admitted that she only gets “about four hours of sleep” each day during the week. Kayla Triplett ‘22 said “ I spend all my time studying and sometimes I just don’t go to sleep”. This mindset can be detrimental to students health. It is said that students of high school age should get anywhere between 8 and 10 hours of sleep to be considered healthy. Not missing out on sleep, taking advantage of breaks, and being social are all ways students can remain healthy during such a stressful time as finals. Academics are important but the health of students is more important than anything else.