Class Programming Tips

Brandon Portillo, Editor

The first semester of your year at Whitney M. Young Magnet high school is almost over. Soon, you will have to go through the brutal process of programming for your classes next year. You have to choose between AP Macroeconomics or Forensics. Maybe you have to choose between Ceramics and DubTV. It’s a difficult decision, all Whitney Young students get it! Here are some tips from alumni and current students to give you some insight on the process.

Keren Gekko ‘18 jokingly wants to say this to students, especially incoming freshman: “Just drop out. It’s easier than programming.”

Sofia Sinnokrot ‘17 had this to say to the underclassmen: “Programming is really stressful but you have to make sure you figure out what classes you really want to take. Don’t take too many AP classes. Believe me, it is overwhelming.”

Brian Carlson ‘18 wants to make sure you are smart with your decisions: “Definitely be conscious of what classes you pick. It is a lot easier to write it on paper than it is to actually take the classes. Be smart and have a fun year. That’s what high school is all about.”

If you’re having trouble thinking of classes to take next year, ask some friends and upperclassmen for their opinions on them! Programming is difficult but you have your counselors available and your peers. Just remember: take classes you’re interested in and challenge yourself.