Dear White People

Johnnysha Shannon

Before we could get over the hit show 13 Reasons Why”, Netflix released another banger, “Dear White People”. Set in an esteemed Ivy League college, biracial student Sam White strives to expose the ever present racial tensions everyone believes no longer exist. Through her radio show Dear White People, Sam fearlessly and relentlessly voices her opinion on the students of Winchester and their behaviors.

The show talks about tough situations involving race relations. A big event that shook the campus was a Blackface Party that was hosted by a group of white males through their newspaper. The video footage of this party was taken by Sam White, once released students from all parts of the school had opinions, most of them opposing each other. Some students felt it was vile and racist, while others saw it as just a halloween party. A vast amount of students said that they didn’t think race problems still existed. Brendan Foster ‘17 said “ I like that the show highlighted a lot of different views of racism and discrimination on their campus.”

Through various historical and present examples of race relations this ten episode season touched on a lot. It’s obvious that this was scripted but the things the students said, black, white, etc. were very realistic. The ways in which the students felt and reacted stood in proxy for the ways students felt in the 1968 student protests and protests for Michael Brown. “I think this show brings a lot of controversy, but its good because it sparks an important conversation.” said Terrie Briggs ‘18. Due to racism still being present, both in real life and on the Winchester campus, the next season should be even better.