Senior Farewell: Deuces

Johnnysha Shannon

My time here at Whitney Young has been long and interesting. I entered as a freshman, not really knowing what to expect and not really having too many expectations. I came in with a complete open mind and clean slate.

I’m going to go through high school year by year and give a little advice and what I came out of that year with. Starting with freshman year of course. I would advise students to make as many friends as possible freshman year, get to know everyone. Starting off with a variety of people will make high school more fun the first year. I can also attest to the benefits of getting good grades freshman year. I took all honors classes and got good grades. Without my grades being what they were freshman year my GPA probably wouldn’t be as high as it is now.

Sophomore year was kind of a blur to be honest. It’s a weird year because we were not as new as we were being freshman and there wasn’t much going on academically. But I would say sophomore year is the time to find out what you like, get involved in sports and clubs. There’s a lot of things to do at Whitney Young, take advantage of that.

By Junior year half of those friends will be distant associates, that’s perfectly fine. This is the time to be thinking about college, don’t obsess just get it into your mind. The SAT is also something that shouldn’t be forgotten about. I would advise looking for jobs and internships by Junior year, networking and getting more money never hurt anyone, I don’t think.

When senior year comes around it’s going to feel like prison and hell on earth. Still being in school everyday will feel like a waste of time, which it is. But you can’t let senioritis get to you too much because your grades will fall and you will be salty. Start college apps as soon as possible, no joke, do not play with getting those apps done. As far as friends go, you will know who you will continue to talk to once you cross that stage and who you won’t and that is okay.

Overall my high school experience has been pretty good but I have less than a week left so DEUCES!!!